Amp/receiver power: Where do I need to be?

Home Forums Uni-Fi Amp/receiver power: Where do I need to be?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  sneaky 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

abillmann
    Participant

Hey guys,

Had the pleasure of hearing the Uni-Fi B5 at AXPONA in Chicago — very impressive!

I’m wondering though, given their relative inefficiency (which is totally fine… I’m good with that), what kind of power would be a good starting point? At the show, the electronics were spectacular, but in the reality of my own life, well, that ain’t happenin’. 🙂

Currently, would my modest Marantz NR-1506 (with 50 watts per channel at 0.09% THD) be suitable? Or should they really have more ooomph than that? My room size is pretty typical at about 14′ x 16′, I think.

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi,

50 Watts should be enough to get the UB5 speakers sounding pretty good, however you need to make sure that the amplifier you are using is designed to power 4 ohm speakers. The Marantz piece you have unfortunately only supports 6 and 8 ohm speakers. Your marantz unit does have pre-outs for the main channel so you can add a separate amplifier to your system.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
    ELAC Americas

scottyr
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Regarding the receivers designed to power the Uni-Fi FB5 speakers (4 ohms), can you recommend some actual receiver models. I’m looking for the best value receivers, under $500, if possible. When I search websites at Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.., I only see receiver specs stating 6 or 8 ohms for every one, but I’m not even sure if I’m looking at it correctly.

Thanks

hululu
      Participant

Hi if you check Yamaha amplifiers can power 4 omh speakers, they can even power 2 omh. Here is the link for their A-S500 which gives you up to 180 watts into 4 omhs. And is $ 450 USD
      http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s500/?mode=model

abillmann
      Participant

Yep… this is exactly what concerns me. If 4-ohm speakers run at a relatively inefficient 85dB/watt, then you’re gonna need some pretty serious (and clean) power. I would think 100 watts per channel (at 0.08% THD or better) would be a good starting point, so that would most likely be a $500 price point on most receivers to get those specs.

So I don’t know… is a 1-to-1 ratio of speaker cost to electronics cost a little steep? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Luis
    Participant

Chris,

Hi. I am also seriously considering the ELAC Uni-Fi B5 with the center channel. I know you recommend a 4 ohm apm and I also have a Marantz but a 5008 7channel. It delivers 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms (.08%) or 140 watts at 6 ohms (.07%). So I have 2 questions:

will that be enough for the B5? and I am not suing the last 2 channels ..can I use that as a method to bi-amp the speakers for better sound?..I mean..will that help?

Many thanks,

Luis

dmort
    Participant

Chris,
    I just purchased the ELAC UNI UB5 and I’ve been playing them with the a Marantz 1604. Although the specs for the 1604 indicated that they only go to 6 ohm, the sound is fine (I have a REL 7i covering the low frequency). Because I was concerned about the inefficiency of the UNI UB5 I did just purchase a dedicated amp (Parasound 275 v.2), which is rated down to 2 ohms but the specs say its maximum watts is 150 at 4 ohms. It seems like a good match spec wise, but I haven’t had a chance to hook them up yet. I will do a pre-out from the 1604 to the 275 V.2.

My question is about the UNI UB5 maximum power rating at 140 watts. Should I worry about the 10 watt difference of 275 v.2 over the UNI UB5?

Chris Walker
      Keymaster

Hi dmort,

No need to worry about the power difference, it will work great….

Enjoy the speakers!

Thanks,

Chris Walker

RAM
    Participant

I’m in the same boat. I need help choosing a proper av/ receiver or amp. I’m in the market for the Uni-Fi B5 and was thinking about pairing it with an Emotiva TA-100

here are the specs:
    Analog Performance (to speaker outputs; both channels driven)
    50 watts RMS per channel (20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.02%; into 8 Ohms).
    90 watts RMS per channel (1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms).
    Power bandwidth: 20 Hz to 20 kHz + 0 dB / – 0.25 dB (at rated power; into 8 Ohms).
    Broadband frequency response: 20 Hz to 80 kHz + 0 dB / – 3 dB.
    THD+noise: < 0.05% (A-weighted).
    S/N ratio: > 100 dB (A-weighted; ref full power).
    S/N ratio: > 85 dB (A-weighted; ref 1 watt).

would this be suitable to power the speakers?

Chris Walker
      Keymaster

Hi RAM,

Sorry for the late reply.

The Emotiva amp will drive the Uni-Fi speakers just fine. We power them with our integrated amplifier which is rated at 80 watts at 4 ohms without any problem…

Thanks,

Chris Walker
      ELAC

Tony2628
    Participant

I plan to get all Elac uni-fi speakers in setting up home surround sound. Will a Yamaha RXV-581 receiver be suitable to power the speakers?

Yamaha RXV-581 specs

Channel 7.2
    Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 115 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
    Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 80 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
    Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 145 W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
    Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 120 / 140 / 170 / 190 W

Thank you

Chris Walker
      Keymaster

Hi Tony,

The Yamaha will power the Uni-Fi speakers, however you will be limited by how loud you can turn it up. Yamaha usually has a setting in the menu system for setting the impedance of the speakers that are connected. Now, if you plan on connecting a subwoofer and letting the receiver set a high pass filter for the main speakers you will be able to get a good amount of volume out of the unit.

Hope that helps. If you have any further questions feel free to call us at 714-252-8843. You can talk directly with Andrew if you wish.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
      ELAC Americas

maverick_pkg
    Participant

Planning to buy 2 Uni-fi UF5 front speakers, 2 Uni-fi UF5 side surround speakers and 2 Uni-fi UB5 back surround speakers with a Uni-fi UC5 center speaker for a room 22.5 feet x 19 feet and 11 foot high. Planning on two SQ12 subwoofers. Do you think its the right setup or too much or too little?

Also, planning on buying Yamaha RX-A2060BL 9.2 AV receiver. Will it be enough for the speakers? Concerned about the 4 ohm aspect of the speakers.

Thank you very much.

maverick_pkg
    Participant

Found this on the Yamaha website (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a2060_u/?mode=model):

Amplifier Section Channel 9.2
    Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 155 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
    Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 140 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
    Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 220 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)
    Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 165 / 210 / 285 / 405 W

Will this receiver be enough for a loud volume? Thanks

wei
    Participant

Can a micro receiver with the following specification drive the Uni-Fi B5 properly?

Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 0.05%
    Output Power/Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD) 32 W + 32 W

wbeachey
    Participant

Will the new NAD D 3020 integrated amp drive the UNI-FI UB5 properly? Rated at 30 W RMS/channel, but designed to be a high current amp.

LDBaha
    Participant

Hello,

I recently purchased a UC5, I’m planning to upgrade all my speakers to the UNI-FI series but I needed to start with the center channel because my old Polk was just crappy.

Just as a side note, I compared the Elac to the Klipsch rc-62 and rc-52 and even though the 62 was louder and had more bass, it’s not what I am looking for on a center channel. Comparing all 3 of them the Elac was my favorite and was clearer.

I’m running this on a Denon x1300w it seems to be handling the speaker just fine and it plays pretty loud. I can’t comment on playing with a full set of uni-fi. I would suggest getting something like a x4300h

Planning to buy 2 Uni-fi UF5 front speakers, 2 Uni-fi UF5 side surround speakers and 2 Uni-fi UB5 back surround speakers with a Uni-fi UC5 center speaker for a room 22.5 feet x 19 feet and 11 foot high. Planning on two SQ12 subwoofers. Do you think its the right setup or too much or too little?

Also, planning on buying Yamaha RX-A2060BL 9.2 AV receiver. Will it be enough for the speakers? Concerned about the 4 ohm aspect of the speakers.

Thank you very much.

That might be overkill with the sides. Maybe try getting some overhead speakers? or atmos speakers instead? I don’t know about up-firing because your ceiling is pretty high (You should do some testing). But You have other options instead of going with 4 UF5

mikewolf1127
    Participant

I have 2 UF5s, 2UB5s and a UC5, all 4 Ohms, along with an S10EQ.

I am considering these amps. Which would serve me best? I don’t understand all these numbers but none of them say 4 Ohms.

Denon AVR-X4300H
    Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)
    125W (8 ohm, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)
    165W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)
    235W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)

Pioneer SC-LX701
    185 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9 %, 1ch Driven FTC)
    135 W/ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, 2ch Driven FTC)

Yamaha RX-A3060
    165W (1kHz, 2ch driven)(8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
    150W (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)(8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  mikewolf1127.

niborg565
    Participant

I have a similar question as mikewolf1127 except I have purchased the Denon AVR-X4300H and looking for speakers. I started looking at the Elac Debut line which seems to run at 6 Ohms (which is why I purchased the x4300) but the more I read it seems the Uni-fy speakers appear to be a little better in filling a large HT room. Now I am confused on if purchasing the Uni-fy speaker solution (4 ohms) will compliment the Denon x4300 or if I need to go back to the Debut line (6 ohms). I want to setup a 5.1.4 listening environment primarily for watching movies. Unfortunately, there are no dealers around my area to even ask about these speakers…most want me to look at B&W and KEF speakers.

Denon AVR-X4300H
    Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)
    125W (8 ohm, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)
    165W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)
    235W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)

Note…Denon says the AVR-x4300h will support 4 ohms speakers…but I just don’t know how well….or how hot.

Any help would be appreciated.
    -Niborg565

AmiraTech
      Participant

I purchased a Denon AVR-X4300H two weeks ago. I’m using it to run a 7.1.2 configuration of 2x Uni-Fi UF5, 1x UC5, 2x Debut A4, 1x Debut S12EQ, and 4x Polk Audio OWM3 surrounds. I will replace the Polk with the Elac debut or uni-fi in ceiling once they ship. I also plan to add 2 more in ceiling Atmos modules (via an external 2 channel amp, as required for this AVR) for a total of 7.1.4 once Elac ships those as well. I have my crossovers on all the Uni-Fi speakers set to 80hz and I have configured the AVR for 4ohm operational mode.

So how does it sound? Nothing short of EXCEPTIONAL! I have not heard anything even close to these for less than 2x the price. The AVR has NO problems driving these to sound levels which force my wife out of the room. I can barely stand to be in the room at reference 0db and the AVR will go even louder. AVR does not run hot nor does is seem to be lacking in any power or THD capacity. The “energy use” meter on the AVR also indicates it is not struggling in any way.

Note that all this hinges on you having a sub and set your crossovers to no less than 80hz. If you try to drive the low frequencies though the Uni-Fi’s, your AVR is going to be under a much greater strain.

In short, the Denon AVR-x4300H is an exceptional AVR for this system.

keefy6
    Participant

I am considering buying the Uni-Fi FB5 speakers and like above have questions about compatability. I don’t see my answer so here it is:

I have a vintage receiver and want to ensure that these would work given the ohm.

SANSUI G7500
    Tuning range: FM, MW
    Power output: 90 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
    Frequency response: 5Hz to 50kHz
    Total harmonic distortion: 0.025%
    Damping factor: 50
    Input sensitivity: 6mV (mic), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (DIN), 150mV (line)
    Signal to noise ratio: 78dB (MM), 95dB (line)
    Channel separation: 60dB (MM), 65dB (line)
    Output: 150mV (line), 43mV (DIN)
    Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

Would this combination work even though the recommended specifications state an 8ohm minimum? What are the risks in using a speaker like the ELAC with different ohm capability. Appreciate input and turnaround in response.

Keith

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  keefy6.

AmiraTech
      Participant

They will work and it is unlikely you could damage the speakers. However, you could possible damage the receiver if you turn the volume up to loud. The amp in this receiver won’t be able to deliver the power the speakers are asking for at higher volume. You risk the unit overheating and frying, or just sounding bad. Modern receivers have protective circuitry which will turn off the app if it gets too hot or overloaded. Don’t know if your receiver has that.

See this article for a bit more info: https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-impedance-3134705

–Brian

keefy6
      Participant

Thank you, I’ve done a bit more research and I won’t be playing extremely loud so I believe it will be fine. Looking forward to hearing how the B5 will sound with a vintage amp.

zypo
    Participant

I have the same question. I would like to purchase the Elac Uni-fi set, but need advice on the receiver. Ultimately, I don’t just go out and buy a receiver. I make sure I have a list of working receivers, and when a receiver on the list goes on sale, I’ll buy that one. I am patient and don’t mind waiting 3 or 4+ months. One thing I have found in a receiver that is said to be awesome is the Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I have been convinced that if a receiver is worth getting, it should really come with the XT32.

There are so many receivers that CAN work with these speakers that I guess the big question is, what receiver under $1500 that comes with the XT32 will NOT be able to power these 4 ohm speakers?

Also – I don’t really care if the speakers are loud. I care more about voice quality and hearing a pin drop.

The cheapest xt32 I found is the AVR-X3300W. If I purchased this when it goes on sale, would this system suffice?

Fry’s typically has receiver sales more than other places. Does anyone know of a way to get the Fry’s deals if you don’t live nearby?

Lastly, I plan on having a large 150″ projector screen to get a 36 degree FOV. The speakers would have to be placed behind an acoustically transparent screen. Is this something that would sacrifice sound quality or is it just volume I would sacrifice?

PS: I have a small to medium sized room

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  zypo.

doctaandrew
    Participant

hi, do you think the denon 720 would be able to run 2x F6, 2 Debut B6, and 1 sq 12 sub ??
    thank you

sneaky
    Participant

Hi everyone,

since I am looking into entering the hi-fi world I’m in a similar situation… Looking into Uni-fi UB5 + Onkyo TX-8150 combo.
    Will this work or is there any better alternative in the price range (ethernet connection on the amp is a must)?

If anyone owns the mentioned setup or has tested it, please share some thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.